Friday, December 28, 2012

A Scottie-themed Gift for Eleanor

My friend Eleanor is one of my few close friends who is not a quilter. We met at work and became good friends. We love to go out to eat, shop, get pedicures, and go to chick movies. Eleanor is a shopper extraordinaire. She loves the thrill of a bargain hunt. If shopping was an Olympic sport, she'd be a gold medalist. She shopped with me for weeks to help me find the perfect wedding dress and the most amazing fuchsia satin wedding shoes. She was my friend who got up at 7 am on my wedding day and went to the beauty salon with me. She is also a dog lover. Her little man is Cole Haan, who is a Scottie dog.

This Christmas, I went a little Scottie dog crazy while shopping for her. It all started off innocently enough this summer when I found these adorable salt and pepper shakers at a shop called Tuesday Morning. Lucky me! They came in a pug version too!
Next, I found both a Scottie dog chalk board and a Scottie dog bulletin board at Target. These unfortunately did NOT come in a pug version. Aren't they cute? They are just the right size for Eleanor's office cubicle.

I was then inspired to make Eleanor this Chubby Charmer tote bag, modeled by Larry Pug. You can read more about the making of this bag here.
The inside of the bag is really pretty too. Check out my Scottie dog pockets. All of the fabric came from my stash. I made Eleanor a pillowcase last year with the pink Scottie dog fabric. The polka dots were originally intended for another project, but I thought they looked perfect with the Scotties. The pink fabric that is the handles and the lining still had the sales tag on it from the original Fabric Place, before it was Fabric Place Basement. I bought it in 2007. If you think that is old, the pillowcase I made last night also had the original Fabric Place tag on it -- from 1994! At least I'm using it up!

I also made two yummy flannel Scottie dog pillowcases. I purchased this fabric online at JoAnn's.
Lastly, I found Eleanor a Scottie dog nightgown at Walmart!
Pretty cool, don't you think? Eleanor was thrilled with her gifts.

Linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Richard and Tanya Quilts and Crazy Mom Quilts.

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Hi! The fabrics for the tote go perfectly together. I can't believe you bought them all for different projects at different times... amazing! I need to work on matching fabrics up like that, I'm always so impressed with the projects that come out of those efforts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, Nancy! What a wonderful treasure trove of scotty goodness! And your pug is adorable...

    Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am laughing! The pig in the bag is so cute! I miss Fabric Place!

    ReplyDelete