Monday, November 11, 2013

In the Beginning...

Unbelievably I've been making quilts for over 20 years. I think that I got started in 1988 because I remember that two of my friends got married in 1989 and I made both of them king size quilts as wedding gifts.

Here is a photo of my first quilt that I made at The Red Barn in Merrimac, MA. I'm happy to say that they are still in business! This, of course, is Eleanor Burn's Quilt in a Day Log Cabin. Helen, the shop owner, gave me a quick lesson with a rotary cutter and I went home and made all of my blocks before the first class even started. It is tied, not quilted. The fabrics have faded and even shredded in places. This quilt used to grace my bed, many years ago when it was new. It lives on my couch but LarryPug was starting to snack on the batting that was peeking through the holey parts, so it is now underneath two other quilts (but still on the couch). I can't bear to throw it away. I can't decide if it should be burned like a retired flag or buried.


Marion became interested in quilting in 1976, when the Bicentennial popularized quilting again, teaching herself through books and magazine articles. Here is Marion (and Sally) with Marion's first quilt. Marion made this quilt in a one-day workshop with Jane Smith at Framingham State College sometime in the early 1980's. This is a Trip Around the World quilt. This quilt is hand tied. Marion's quilt is also shredding and is currently living in her attic.


Here is Terri with her first quilt top. She has never layered it, so technically it is still an Unfinished Object (UFO). This sampler is hand-pieced. Terri made this quilt in a class in 1987 with Louisa Smith who is now an acclaimed quilter and quilt book author.


Kim brought a treasure to share with us. This quilt was made by her grandmother, Emily Pratt, in an adult education class that she took with friends in 1976. Everyone in the group made a block and Kim's grandmother won them all. The blocks are all signed by each maker and it is labeled on the back. Kim's grandmother's block is the blue churn dash towards the lower left. The quilt is assembled in the quilt as you go method and is hand quilted.




Kim also brought her first quilt and two other quilts from her early quilting days. Kim's Mom taught her to quilt and Kim made the blue and white quilt below in the late 1970's for her college dorm room. Like my quilt and Marion's, it is also tied and falling apart from years of use and love.

Another of Kim's early quilts. This pattern is called
Hidden Wells and it is designed by Mary Ellen Hopkins,
a noted quilt book author, who passed away this summer.

Another of Kim's early works, a half log cabin.
Lexine learned to quilt in 1996 at the long defunct Quilted or Not. Lexine brought in one of her early quilts. It is not her first quilt. She thinks it was probably her third quilt. Really? We were all quite impressed.

Lexine's lovely fan quilt
LarryPug and Elvis say "Time for bed."

Getting late here. Hope that you enjoyed our little quilt show and that you are sleeping under a quilt tonight!

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

P.S. Updating this blog post with a link to Nadine's Memory Lane Monday! Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I made my first quilt about 10 years ago, gave it as a gift. I know it's still in use, which makes me very happy :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We've been quilting for about the same amount of time! Awesome log cabin quilt, and it's wonderful that you still have it. Thanks for linking up with MLM!

    ReplyDelete